CV Formats

Paid Advertisment

Apps For Android

Words and Their Uses, Past and Present

by Unknown  |  at  Wednesday, August 07, 2013


Book Description

The following computer-generated description may contain errors and does not represent the quality of the book:
In preparing a new edition of this book, I have sought help and taken hints from every criticism of it that I have seen; and I heard of none that I did not try to find if it was not at hand. Whoever attempts to correct the faults of others in any respect may expect severe treatment at the hands of the very men whom he would serve; and if his efforts are directed to their use of language, he may reasonably look forward to walking, sitting, and sleeping upon pen points for a while. Wherefore I have been very pleasantly surprised that of the much that has been written about this book, so little, comparatively, was dispai aging. In only one quarter have I found reason to complain of unfairness, or even of a captious spirit, while the general tone of my critics, public and private, has been that of thankfulness for a real service. But I have ti-ied not to allow myself to be led by the favorable judgment of my critics into the belief that I could disregard the strictures of my censors. In many passages of the book slight changes have been made; upon matters of fact and of opinion a few important modifications will be found; one new chapter has been added.
 
Book Details

PIBN: 1000000552
Category: Language - English Language
Year: 1899
Language: English
Pages: 471
Words: 141847
Unique Words: 10577  (excluding 311 stopwords)
Sample: Download
 

0 comments:

Proudly Powered by Blogger.