CV Formats

Paid Advertisment

Apps For Android

A Philosophical Grammar of the English Language

by Unknown  |  at  Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Book Description

The following computer-generated description may contain errors and does not represent the quality of the book:
We not only grrc our decided approbation of its superior merits, but feel also much pleasure in recommending it to those anxious for sterling knowledge on the peculiarities of our language. Advertiser, May, 1834. Skibbereen, Co. Cork, 12 th May, 1825. Dear Sir I have great pleasure in complying with your request, so fay as it involves a desire to express my opinion on the merits of your production on the grammatical principles of our language. I regret that my present position amongst the literary characters of the day, is not so conspicuous as I could desire, in order to add that importance to my decision which would do something like justice to your deserts in this instance. I have read your book with much attention, and, I must add, with profit and delight. I do it but justice, when I say, that in my humble opinion, it must, if respectably published, supersede every thing of its kind. I shall feel happy, when it is published, to give it every support in my power; and, as a foretaste of that intention, entreat you to enter my name for fifty copies. I am, dear Sir, your obedient servant, Mr. J.W. Wright. tMICHAEL Collins, R.C. B., M. C.Skibbereen School, Feb.10, 1826.Dear Sir I am free to acknowledge, that on receipt of your English Grammar, I took it up under feelings ill calculated to enhance its value in my esteem. These feelings, I am bound to say, originated in the fixed convic.tion, that a subject so hackneyed by numerous writers, since the production of Mr. Murrays amended and enlarged edition, (without evincing, in anyone instance, that importance which would redeem the pretensions advanced) had already attained its standard point of perfection; and that, consequently, further attempts, however well designed, would prove uninteresting, if not altogether nugatory. With pleasure, I retract what I now clearly perceive is an untenable position; and, I am of opinion, that your truly interesting work requires nought but circulation to be duly appreciated. I am, dear Sir, your obedient servant, Mr. J.W. Wright. Thomas Cook, A.B. T.C.
 
Book Details

PIBN: 1000005103
Category: Language - English Language
Year: 1838
Language: English
Pages: 268
Words: 76789
Unique Words: 5716  (excluding 311 stopwords)
Sample: Download



0 comments:

Proudly Powered by Blogger.